TruffleHunter: Small-Batch Truffle Products
The TruffleHunter is a United Kingdom based company that sources white and black truffles from both Europe and southern England and creates small-batch truffle products ranging from dairy and cheese to snacks. For the latter, think their vegan and gluten-free Black Truffle Popcorn, Black Truffle Crisps—thinly sliced English potatoes fried in small batches and dusted with Black Truffle Powder, and the more esoteric Black Truffle Seaweed Tempura.
Other products include truffle oils, popcorn, salts, mustard, honey and mayonnaise and have also introduced vegan friendly Black Truffle BBQ Sauce and Black Truffle Hot Sauce. Both ae good for drizzling over vegetables, burgers, meats, and fries, use as a dipping sauce or to flavor other foods with the taste of truffles.
TruffleHunter products are available through Amazon now as well and interestingly are stocked in a temperature controlled warehouse so there’s no huge overseas shipping charges.
The following recipes courtesy of TruffleHunter.
Toasties with Brie and Mushrooms
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 2 slices of Brie
- 1 tbsp TruffleHunter’s Black Truffle Sauce
- 2 tbsp kraut
- 1/2 cup or more arugula
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 slices of sourdough
- For this decadent Toastie, preheat a skillet or heavy-duty griddle. In another small frying pan melt half your butter and add in your chopped mushrooms, rosemary and truffle sauce. Sauté for 5-10 minutes and then start building your Toastie layers.
- Layer some kraut on the bottom, followed by a generous handful of rocket. Next your truffle mushrooms and top with a big slice of ripe brie.
- Finally brush the remaining butter onto the outer sourdough and place into your hot skillet. Place another heavy pan or an iron grill press on top.
- Cook for 4-5 mins and turn at least once during cooking.
Bacon with Truffled Mac and Cheese
- 12 ounces dried macaroni
- 3 ounces smoked bacon
- 1 onion
- 16 ounces whole milk
- 3tsp TruffleHunter Minced Black Truffle
- 2 ounces TruffleHunter Black Truffle Butter
- 2ounces plain flour
- 8 ounces mature cheddar cheese(grated)
- 1 tsp TruffleHunter Black Truffle Mustard
- TruffleHunter Fresh Black Truffle shavings
Blanch macaroni in boiling water until nearly cooked through (still has a slight crunch).
Grill bacon until golden then cut into lardons. (strips 1/2-inch thick and the full width of the bacon)
For the sauce. Remove skin, and half the onion put into milk with and warm the milk slowly, do not boil. 20 minutes should do.
For the roux.
Melt TruffleHunter Black Truffle Butter in pan big enough to hold at least 1 litre of sauce. Add flour and cook out for two or three minutes.
Finish the sauce.
Remove and discard the onion from the milk. Add the milk to the roux a little at a time all the while whisking.
For more information: www.truffle-hunter.com